Killer faces month-long delay to learn his fate

CONVICTED killer Jamie Rex Teichmann will have to wait more than a month until his learns his fate.

In the Brisbane Supreme Court this week, a jury found Teichmann guilty of the manslaughter, rather than murder, of Coominya man Michael Manson.

The jury found Teichmann killed Mr Manson in a roadside fight outside Coominya after they both ended up at a woman's house.

After a brief fight at her house, Teichmann drove away.

Manson chased him down, however, and the two came to blows on the side of a country road.

After Mr Manson called Teichmann a "pussy" and said he thought Teichmann would "hit harder than that", Teichmann proceeded to "punch the crap and kick the shit" out of Mr Manson.

Teichmann left Mr Manson unconscious on the roadside and went to collect two drinking buddies before returning to the scene.

The three put Mr Manson's body into the tray of a ute and drove it to an off-road area where passing vehicles could not see it.

Mr Manson died from a severe brain injury.

Crown prosecutor Ben Powers said this had occurred due to Teichmann's blows, but Teichmann's defence said the injury might have been caused when an unconscious Mr Manson bounced around in the ute tray.

Teichmann had previously been found guilty of Mr Manson's murder but was granted a retrial because the jury was not told manslaughter was a possible verdict.

The court heard Teichmann had a previous attempted murder conviction, which was likely to impact his eventual sentence.

On Friday, Justice John Bond adjourned Teichmann's eventual sentencing until June 18, when further sentencing submissions will be made.


Dalby born UK author returns to her roots in new book

Premium Content Dalby born UK author returns to her roots in new book

Taking inspiration from her time in the Western Downs, Janet Gover’s new book...

Man’s $900 fine for refusing to take pants off for Dalby police

Premium Content Man’s $900 fine for refusing to take pants off for Dalby...

After his arrest for public nuisance, the 25-year-old refused to change into the...

REVEALED: Qld’s COVID vaccine rollout plan

Premium Content REVEALED: Qld’s COVID vaccine rollout plan

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young has opened up