Accused siege gunman wants bail to ‘spend time’ with family

THE man accused of the 2014 Gold Coast Christmas siege says he should be bailed so he can spend time with his family.

Anthony Shane Randall was charged with possessing explosives, going armed so as to cause fear, possessing a weapon, assault occasioning bodily harm, deprivation of liberty and attempted murder after the alleged 12-hour Southport siege ended on Christmas Day.

The 36-year-old, who is also charged with keeping a declared pest (rabbit), did not appear before Supreme Court Justice Martin Daubney on Wednesday.

When told Mr Randall's family time was behind the bail application, Justice Daubney replied: "A lot of people want to get out of jail to spend time with their families."

Justice Daubney also questioned Mr Randall's defence counsel's claim that the Gold Coast resident was drug free.

"There is nothing to show he is actually clean or going to a residential drug rehabilitation program (if released on bail)," he said.

Justice Daubney adjourned the hearing to a date to be fixed so the accused's legal team can re-submit the bail application.

- APN NEWSDESK


Drug raid reveals protected animal being kept in home

Premium Content Drug raid reveals protected animal being kept in home

AFTER police raided the home of a Miles mother, they uncovered the woman had been...

Speeding drink driver’s brush with death after dramatic Dalby crash

Premium Content Speeding drink driver’s brush with death after dramatic Dalby...

AFTER witnesses spotted the man hooning around Dalby, things quickly became ugly...

1000 jobs created in Western Downs as unemployment rate falls

Premium Content 1000 jobs created in Western Downs as unemployment rate...

WITH unemployment rates rising across Queensland, the Western Downs has swum...