Anti-terrorism raids in Victoria follow Cape York arrests

POLICE have raided properties in Melbourne's northern suburbs as part of the operation that helped capture five men in Far North Queensland last week, as they attempted to sail to Indonesia.

Victorian Police have told the ABC there is no threat to the public in relation to the raids.

They are understood to be part of Operation Middleham.

The operation last week led to the arrest of five Melbourne men in Cape York.

They were allegedly planning to sail first to Indonesia then travel on to join the Islamic State.

At the time, Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton said the group had already had their passports cancelled.

Police said the men were between 21 and 33 years old.

"We're investigating the allegation that they were planning to make their way through Indonesia, to the Philippines with a view to making their way to Syria," Deputy Commissioner Patton said.

"We have a requirement to ensure that people can't get offshore to go fight in another country … can't get offshore to go become hardened terrorists and come back here and pose a risk."

The five men were charged and are due to face court in Melbourne on Thursday.


ULTIMATE GUIDE: Where to celebrate Australia Day in Dalby

Premium Content ULTIMATE GUIDE: Where to celebrate Australia Day in Dalby

From family cricket games, to citizenship ceremonies and barbecues, here’s where...

Drink driver was in his underwear after catastrophic rollover

Premium Content Drink driver was in his underwear after catastrophic...

A young man who drunkenly rolled his car several times along the Warrego Hwy...

Western Downs farmers could lose up to 40% of crops due to plague

Premium Content Western Downs farmers could lose up to 40% of crops due to...

The worst hit areas in the Western Downs have been revealed as potentially millions...