Dalby man sentenced after being caught with Snapchat
A Dalby father has been sentenced after he failed to notify police that he was using the social media messaging app Snapchat.
Charles Hodges Edward Maxwell, 39, faced Dalby Magistrates Court on March 16, charged with two counts of failing to comply with reporting conditions.
The court heard Maxwell was subject to reporting under Child Protection Offender Prohibition Order, after he was served obligations in 2017 by the Toowoomba Child Protection and Investigation Unit.
Police prosecutor sergeant Derek Brady said the obligations required Maxwell to regularly update police on any changes of his personal details.
On February 11, investigators from Dalby attended Maxwell’s residence to conduct a compliance check, where he notified police he was made redundant in April 2020, and hadn’t returned to work.
Sergeant Brady said the second count of failing to report related to his obligation to notify police on any social networking sites he joined, participated or contributed to.
He told the court on the same date, investigators inspected Maxwell’s phone and located Snapchat, to which Maxwell said he had been using it for three months.
The court heard chats were found on his phone dating back to October 15, 2020.
Defence solicitor Michael McElhinney said the 39-year-old father instructed the offences were “errors of omission”, with no insidious reason behind them.
Mr McElhinney then cited his reporting conditions were to be finalised in May 2021.
Magistrate Tracy Mossop told Maxwell the second offence of having Snapchat was the more serious offence, and said he’d have to be “somebody who lives in the dark ages” to not understand what it’s used for and what it’s about.
She however cited he hadn’t breached any of his conditions until 2020.
Maxwell pleaded guilty and was given one fine of $1,000 for both offences.
Convictions were recorded.