Menu
News

Deputy Premier makes massive call on controversial sand mine

Aerial view of the proposed Forest Glen sand mine.
Aerial view of the proposed Forest Glen sand mine. Julian George

BREAKING: Deputy Premier and Minister for Planning Jackie Trad has tonight confirmed a controversial, proposed 105ha sand mine site at Forest Glen will not be declared a state-significant sand resource while legal proceedings are ongoing.

The site bordered by Eudlo Flats Rd, Malones Rd and Old Maroochydore Rd is currently subject of a Planning and Environment Court case after proponents Maroochydore Sands Pty Ltd appealed a Sunshine Coast Council rejection of the proposed sand mine in October last year.

In November the State Government notified residents who had joined the council in fighting to defend the appeal that the State Government was intending to designate the site as a Key Resource Area.

Residents feared that designation may influence the legal case, and their concerns were echoed by Buderim MP Steve Dickson, who repeatedly called for the designation to be set aside while the appeal process was underway.

Late this evening Ms Trad told the Daily, in response to a series of questions about the State Government's willingness to proceed with the designation while the case was ongoing, that she had decided to pull the KRA designation off the table while the case is proceeding.

"I recently decided that given the legal proceedings currently underway relating to the site affected by the proposed KRA it will not be designated at this time," Ms Trad said.

The Daily understands the site, which a Department of Natural Resources and Mines spokesman said contains about 4.75 million tonnes of sand resource, can be reconsidered as a key resource area once legal proceedings are finalised, but it will now not be considered for designation while the case is ongoing.

Topics:  planning and development sand mine stop the maroochy sand mine sunshine coast sunshine coast council


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Western Downs will play waiting game

WAITING GAME: Western Downs mayor Paul McVeigh said the delay in the range crossing was disappointing, but the opportunities were still there.

THE DELAY in the Toowoomba Second Range Crossing is disappointing

Mother's call for epilepsy awareness

MORE AWARENESS: Luke Dean wants more people to be involved in World Epilepsy Day.

Mother aims to build awareness for epilepsy.

Jandowae residents flock to their annual Showball

SHOWSTOPPERS: 2018 Rural Ambassador Sarah Shaw with last year's Miss Showgirl Millie Bach.

The Jandowae Show Society hosted their Showball last Saturday.

Local Partners