Sydney churchgoers warned after two more Cathedral cases
Two more parishioners of the Our Lady of Lebanon Cathedral in Harris Park have tested positive for COVID-19 with calls for others to get tested.
NSW Health is asking anyone who attended mass at the church in Sydney's west to immediately self-isolate for two weeks even if they have no symptoms.
Those who attended the church during any of these occasions are asked to immediately self-isolate for two weeks even if they have no symptoms:
Wednesday 15 July - 5.30pm Mass
Thursday 16 July - 6pm Mass
Friday 17 July - 1pm Funeral and 6pm Mass.
A pop-up testing clinic will be set up in the car park of the cathedral from tomorrow for four days between 9am and 4.30pm.
NSW Health said in a statement that it advised against group singing and chanting in religious services, including choirs.
The church cases have been linked to a confirmed case at the Thai Rock restaurant.
NSW recorded 20 new cases of coronavirus in the 24 hours to 8pm on Sunday - all of which have been linked to existing clusters.
Of these, three have been linked to the Crossroads Hotel, eight to the Thai Rock restaurant in Wetherill Park, four with the Bateman's Bay Soldiers Club, four overseas travellers and one infected while in Victoria.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the fact all of the infections could be linked to clusters was a promising sign the disease wasn't slipping under the radar.
"Every single one of those is from a known source. Whilst I remain concerned, that is one positive take out," she said.
Despite the promising news, Ms Berejiklian urged residents to remain on high alert and continue to social distance, minimise non-essential travel and avoid large gatherings.
"We have the opportunity to isolate the cases we have, clamp down and reduce incidents of the virus spreading."
"Our state continues to be on extremely high alert," she said.
NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant described wearing a face mask as "an important adjunct" to other COVID-safe behaviours but warned it is "not a silver bullet."
Speaking without a face covering, Dr Chant urged people to wear face masks where they cannot socially distance, saying alternatives like scarves may be suitable.
Face masks are not "a silver bullet," she said, calling on people to also stay home if sick, socially distance and practice good hand hygiene.
When asked whether people should wear masks at their local shops, Dr Chant said it "depends" on whether crowds allow people to keep their distance.
VICTORIA RECORDS 275 NEW CASES
There have been 275 new cases recorded in Victoria and another woman has died, bringing the state's death toll to 30.
The woman, in her 80s, was a resident of an aged care facility.
247 of the new cases are under investigation, with only 28 connected to known clusters so far.
More than 26,000 Victorians were tested yesterday, bringing the total tests to 1,331,774 since January.
Premier Daniel Andrews said Victorians "can't ignore" the outbreak.
"We can't afford to ignore the absolute truth of what we face and that is that this virus is not yet contained," Mr Andrews said.
"We need to drive the numbers down, the powerful reality of our circumstances is we
can't wish it away," he said.
The Premier clarified that Melburnians must wear a face covering, but this may not necessarily be a mask.
Mr Andrews said bandannas and scarves can also be worn if they cannot find a mask.
He also hit out at critics of the Victorian government's mandatory mask policy.
"There has been a lot of commentary and a lot of people who don't necessarily think that the virus is real, or think it is somehow a
fundamental attack on peoples' human rights," Mr Andrews said.
"I just remind every Victorian that nurses and doctors wear masks when they are treating you and I don't think it is too much to ask Victorians to wear a mask so they don't finish up in hospital or contribute to somebody else finishing up in hospital," he said.
JUNIOR LEAGUE COACH TESTS POSITIVE
Four junior rugby league teams in Sydney have gone into urgent isolation after a trainer of a team tested positive for COVID-19.
De La Salle JRLFC in Caringbah issued an urgent warning to anyone associated with its under-14 gold team after a trainer from the Sutherland-Loftus team tested positive.
The coach had trained the team on Thursday night when he became unwell on Friday and took a COVID-19 test, before self isolating until he got the result on Sunday.
"NSWRL was notified on Sunday afternoon when the man received confirmation. The teams affected are Sutherland U13 and U14, Gymea U13 and De La Salle U14 (Gold)," NSWRL Chief Executive David Trodden said.
"Sutherland Loftus to advise all parents, siblings and participants in the under 13s and under 14s to self-isolate and get tested.
"Gymea 13s and De La Salle 14s participants and parents and siblings are advised to self-isolate and get tested as soon as possible."
All four teams at this point are stood down for two rounds of competition and have been asked not to train.
"Where competition games are affected, the COVID-19 rules apply, as per our previous announcement," NSWRL said.
"Both sides will get a point and the game is classed as a draw. The rest of the competition games are able to proceed unaffected."
All players, officials and spectators, including family members, of both teams are required to self-isolate until further notice.
All other players, officials and spectators - including family members - that were in close contact with any players at any point on Sunday must also self isolate until further notice.
SUTHERLAND COURT CLOSED FOR CLEANING
Sutherland Courthouse has also been closed today and forensically cleaned after a person attending the court last Wednesday tested positive.
The Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) was notified on Sunday that an individual who attended Local Court has since tested positive to COVID-19.
BATEMANS BAY OUTBREAK GROWS
A further six people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Batemans Bay on the NSW south coast, in the first outbreak in regional NSW.
A spokesperson for Southern NSW Local Health District confirmed tonight that six reported cases had been confirmed in connection with the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club.
"In addition to the two people who were infectious with COVID-19 and were dining at the Bistro a further six people associated with the Club have been diagnosed as positive with COVID-19," the spokesperson said.
Four of the COVID-19 cases are all members of the same family who dined at the club. The other cases are, a staff member from the club, two cases who dined at the club and one case who is a close contact of the previously reported cases. One of the eight cases is a local resident.
All staff and patrons who attended the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club on Monday July 13, Thursday July 16 and Friday July 17 have been advised to self isolate for 14 days after they were last at the club and seek testing for COVID-19.
It comes as a staff member at a mental health clinic in Western Sydney tested positive for coronavirus and health officials ask anyone who recently attended a restaurant and gym connected to separate cases isolate for two weeks.
Northside Group's Wentworthville Clinic confirmed a member of staff had contracted COVID-19 on Sunday, after NSW Health had announced a further 18 new cases in the 24 hours to 8pm Saturday.
No patients have been identified as close contacts, however four of the mental health clinic's staff members have now been directed to self-isolate.
Of the 18 new cases confirmed by officials, one person had attended the Holy Duck! restaurant in Chippendale on July 10 between 7.15pm and 9.30pm, prompting NSW Health to ask anyone there at this time to immediately isolate for 14 days even if they have a negative COVID-19 test.
Another case visited the Anytime Fitness Gym in Merrylands on 14 July from 9.00pm to 10:30pm, with anyone who was also at the facility during this time ordered to isolate for two weeks regardless of test results.
The tough isolation guidelines come after NSW Health found four of the new people who tested positive for coronavirus attended the Thai Rock Restaurant in Stockland Mall, Wetherill Park, and another was a close contact of this cluster.
Two people were from the same household as a previous case and another one was a close contact of a person with COVID-19.
One person was linked to the Crossroads Hotel outbreak, bringing the overall number of cases associated with this cluster to 45.
Five of the new cases were returned overseas travellers in hotel quarantine, and one case was still being investigated yesterday.
About 25,917 tests were carried out in the 24-hour reporting period.
There are 99 COVID-19 cases being treated by NSW Health, with one in intensive care.
Originally published as Family of four among six victims of a new COVID-19 outbreak in Batemans Bay