NSW Police | Facebook

Stoccos resisted arrest until last, police open homicide case

LATEST: GINO and Mark Stocco resisted capture right up until the handcuffs were placed on them today, say NSW Police. 

Police held a press conference this afternoon about the dramatic arrest and subsequent discovery of a body near Dunedoo, New South Wales. 

A homicide investigation has now also begun. 

Acting Assistant Commissioner Clint Pheeney said the father and son fugitives did not surrender when the property was surrounded by tactical police.

"They were non-compliant in relation to directions given to them during the arrest phase," Assistant Commissioner Pheeney said.

He said some minor injuries were acquired during the arrest.

Gino and Mark Stocco were assessed at hospital and are being taken to Dubbo police station to be charged.

It's believed the Stoccos had been hiding at the property for a number of days. 

"Police have been monitoring and surveilling the place covertly for the last nearly 24 hours. Or at least 16 hours sorry."

A body has been located on a property near Dunedoo (in the state’s central west), where police arrested Gino and Mark...

Posted by NSW Police Force on Tuesday, October 27, 2015


A BODY has been found at the property near Dunedoo, New South Wales where Gino and Mark Stocco were arrested earlier today.

NSW Police are trying to determine how the victim - believed to be a 68-year-old man who disappeared on October 8 - died.

A crime scene was set up at the Elong Elong property in central west NSW shortly after the Stoccos were taken into custody.

12:09 Father and son fugitives captured in NSW

IT'S taken eight years but the law has finally caught up with father and son fugitives Gino and Mark Stocco.

Police nabbed the pair a short time ago in the central west NSW town of Dunedoo.

New South Wales Police said the men were arrested at a property on Tonniges Road at Elong Elong shortly before midday, "following a covert operation involving officers from Western Region, New England Local Area Command, the Tactical Operations Unit, Aviation Support Branch, and State Crime Command's Robbery and Serious Crime Squad."

No shots were fired and no one was injured during the arrest.

The men will be taken to Dubbo Police Station to be charged.

Gino and Mark Stocco.
Gino and Mark Stocco. Contributed

The 58-year-old Gino and his 38-year-old son Mark have become known as Australia's modern-day bushrangers - complete with bushy beards - after their escapades across Queensland, NSW and Victoria.

Wanted on a set of outstanding warrants across the three states, the pair put themselves in the national conscience when they  shot at police in Wagga Wagga.

It is expected the October 16 shooting will lead to attempted murder charges. 

The pair were spotted near the town of Yea, about 100km north-east of Melbourne, on Wednesday, October 21 prompting police to flood into the region and set up a command post at Yea.

Police were confident they had the pair cornered and continued their search for them in the Yea area after deciding a white Landcruiser that rammed a police car in north-east Victoria on Thursday, October 22 did not contain the father and son duo.

For eight years they managed to avoid the spotlight despite being on Australia's most wanted list for a range of violent crimes and property offences across the three states.

Queensland Police distributed a rural crime alert in June but the pair still avoided detection.

Their years of laying low ended when they allegedly shot at police with a high-powered rifle during a car chase at Wagga Wagga on October 16.

Police have arrested Gino and Mark Stocco at a property near Dunedoo (in the state’s central west) this morning...

Posted by NSW Police Force on Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A bullet hit a police car and officers were forced to abandon their high-speed chase.

The following day, police found the pair's dumped Nissan Navara and warned the community to remain vigilant.

On October 18, they stole a white Toyota LandCrusier in the Riverina are of NSW.

They were seen refuelling the ute on October 19 at Euroa in Victoria.

Three sets of number plates were stolen on October 20 at Tumbarumba and the pair was filmed in a supermarket at Bairnsdale on October 21.

On October 22 the men were seen near Castella travelling along the Melba Highway at 140kmh. Police decided it was to dangerous to give chase.

From October 22 to October 25, the men were seen in St James, Sale, South Gundagai, Tarcutta and Tumut. 

In 2013, the Stoccos were hired by a Darling Downs farmer who had no idea at the time the two men would become the nation's most wanted outlaws.

>> Father-and-son fugitives terrorised Darling Downs

Cecil Plains farmer Doug Redding unknowingly employed fugitive duo Gino and Mark Stocco.

Mr Redding said he hired the father and son pair from April to October, 2013, as caretakers for his small cattle property, 22km west of Cecil Plains.

When they quit from his property, they "stole a hell of a lot of gear" and continued on with their criminal dealings into New South Wales and Victoria.

Vaccine blow: How long until life in Qld returns to normal

Premium Content Vaccine blow: How long until life in Qld returns to normal

Queensland could stay this way for a long time yet

Sawed-off weapon and bong lands Western Downs man in court

Premium Content Sawed-off weapon and bong lands Western Downs man in court

A young man shocked a Chinchilla courtroom when he asked for a tougher sentence.

Interactive: Where you can still get a house for $500k

Premium Content Interactive: Where you can still get a house for $500k

Here’s where you can still get a house for less than $500,000