Toxic fumes overcome Springfield lagoon workers

TWO Orion Lagoon workers were taken to hospital after being overcome by toxic fumes at the weekend.

Emergency services were alerted to the incident at the popular recreational spot at Springfield yesterday just before midday.

It is understood hydrochloric acid and chlorine were somehow mixed together before coming into contact with water.

A pool maintenance person and a cleaner are believed to have been overcome by the fumes in the lagoon's pump house.

Three Queensland Fire and Rescue units attended the scene where scientific officers conducted tests and ventilated the area.

A Queensland Ambulance spokesman said the two men were taken to Ipswich Hospital in a stable condition as a precaution.

The lagoon was not closed during the brief incident and the public was not placed in danger due to the chemical spill.


NEED DOUGH? Dalby business’ hiring frenzy

Premium Content NEED DOUGH? Dalby business’ hiring frenzy

Are you looking to get your foot in the door at a booming Dalby business? We can...

Confirmed: When COVID restrictions will ease

Premium Content Confirmed: When COVID restrictions will ease

Coronavirus Qld: COVID restrictions will ease at 6am on Thursday

Bid to drill near Hopeland contamination site hits snag

Premium Content Bid to drill near Hopeland contamination site hits snag

Arrow’s application to drill 280 gas wells near Hopeland’s contaminated site, hit a...