Bowen teenager Rachel Antonio went missing in April, 1998.
Bowen teenager Rachel Antonio went missing in April, 1998. Contributed

Rachel Antonio's alleged secret boyfriend wants review

RACHEL Antonio's alleged secret boyfriend, Robert Paul Hytch, wants a review into a Coroner's finding that the Bowen teenager died after a "violent" altercation with him.

The schoolgirl disappeared on April 25, 1998, at the age of 16, and her body has not been found.

Mr Hytch was charged with Rachel's murder following her 1998 disappearance and was convicted of manslaughter in 1999, but the sentence was overturned on appeal and he was acquitted in 2001.

At last month's Coronial inquest into Rachel's disappearance, Coroner David O'Connell concluded Rachel had been in a secret relationship with Mr Hytch and implicated him in her death.

 

Robert Hytch (left) arrives at Bowen Court in September, 2014.
Robert Hytch (left) arrives at Bowen Court in September, 2014. Janessa Eckert

"I find that a meeting between the two of them occurred on that evening at a little after 7pm and that shortly after that time Mr Hytch has caused a fatal injury to Rachel and thereby caused her death," Mr O'Connell said at the time.

Mr Hytch lodged an application in the Brisbane Supreme Court last week for the Coroner's decision to be reviewed, News Corp reported.

The report said that in the application Mr Hytch's lawyers alleged that the decision was unjustified and had no evidence to support it.

A directions hearing is reportedly to be held in the Brisbane Supreme Court in October.


200+ PLANTS: Woman sentenced after Western Downs drug raid

Premium Content 200+ PLANTS: Woman sentenced after Western Downs drug raid

A WESTERN Downs woman told police they “couldn’t hate a girl for trying” after she...

MEGA GALLERY: 300+ photos from Roma Cup

Premium Content MEGA GALLERY: 300+ photos from Roma Cup

WHILE it was a bit different this year due to COVID-19 restrictions, The...

Man allegedly flees scene of drunken crash in Dalby

Premium Content Man allegedly flees scene of drunken crash in Dalby

AFTER allegedly crashing his car while drunk, a 30-year-old man then left the scene...