'I wanted to kill them' - Sister's ire at baby's death
NSW'S district health services have reviewed their gas administration protocols after a major mix-up involving "laughing gas" killed one baby and seriously injured another.
Sonya and Youssef Ghanem's baby boy was born via Caesarian section on July 13 at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital.
A doctor ordered the child receive oxygen but hospital staff mistakenly administered nitrous oxide from what they was supposed to be an oxygen outlet.
The little boy died shortly after.
Another child is in a critical condition after receiving the same sedative by mistake last month.
Ms Ghanem's daughter Chantal said the hospital admitted it's grave error about week after her brother died.
"They said 'it's basically our (the hospital's) fault'," she told The Australian.
"I lost it when they said that.
"I just wanted to kill them.
"I am just so angry that an innocent life is gone due to something that should have never happened."
NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner said the mix-up was a "devastating error" and that her department was conducting an in-depth investigation.
"Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital has checked all eight operating theatres and found an installation fault in only one theatre," she told the Australian.
"It has been corrected but that theatre remains closed."
NSW Health secretary Elizabeth Koff said the state's local health services and specialty networks had checked their medical gas outlets were installed correctly and taken steps to ensure they complied with Australian standards. - ARM NEWSDESK