Man accused of breaking woman’s ribs in child handover
A young father accused of breaking a woman's ribs will remain in jail after a failed bail application on Monday.
Caboolture Magistrates Court today heard Bryce Francis Willis, 26, allegedly attacked the woman when she arrived at his Caboolture home for a handover of their young child on July 19.
According to prosecutors "he walked up and hit her".
He currently faces charges including assault occasioning bodily harm (domestic violence).
The court heard Willis allegedly hit the woman in the head and neck 10 times and broke numerous ribs.
"The fact that the ambulance did take her away is indicative that something is wrong," the prosecution said.
"He did assault her and he assaulted her in a violent and gratuitous way."
The court heard the woman was taken to hospital for X-rays, but the defence argued no evidence of broken bones had been presented.
Mr Willis' defence lawyer argued his version of events were in "stark contrast" to those shared by the victim and strongly contested the accusations.
But prosecutors maintained "gratuitous" violence had taken place.
"Something has most definitely occurred, there's no doubt about it," they said.
The prosecutor cited an "appalling" 17-page criminal history that included assault occasioning bodily harm in 2018, numerous failures to appear in court and failures to comply with community service orders.
Magistrate Peter Hasted said Willis would face "a considerable amount of time" in custody if convicted and cited 15 previous failures to appear in court before denying Willis bail.
Willis will next face court, via video link from jail, on August 6.
*For 24-hour support in Queensland phone DVConnect on 1800 811 811, MensLine on 1800 600 636 or the national hotline 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.
Originally published as Man accused of breaking woman's ribs in child handover