Man refutes claim he drove dangerously before crash

A WITNESS told a jury he saw a vehicle swerving "all over the road" before a serious traffic crash on the Bruce Hwy.

Caitlyn De Boni was critically injured in the two-vehicle crash that occurred on July 10 in 2013 at Coningsby.

She received fractures and internal injuries, crown prosecutor Maita Aylward said yesterday in the District Court in Mackay.

It is alleged David Ronald Mackenzie was driving dangerously before his Toyota Landcruiser and Ms De Boni's vehicle collided, which he is disputing.

Mackenzie pleaded not guilty to dangerous operation of a vehicle while adversely affected by an intoxicating substance.

A blood sample taken from Mackenzie revealed a blood alcohol concentrate of 0.157%. This was not in dispute.

Ms De Boni had been driving to The Leap after having dinner in Mackay. Her next memory was waking up in hospital and asking her mother why she was there.

Joshua Gauci had been at The Leap Hotel and left about 9pm with two friends. He saw a man "stumble" to his car and get in a Toyota Landcruiser.

He told the jury he later saw that vehicle swerving into the bike lane and onto the other side of the road before he overtook the vehicle.

Defence barrister Andrew Boe, for Mackenzie, said this was the first time Gauci had mentioned he'd seen the vehicle go into the oncoming traffic lane and that he had not mentioned it in the two statements he'd made to police.

Mr Boe suggested Mr Gauci "exaggerated" what he saw that night.

Mr Gauci accepted the possibility he may have "overreached" in his memory of the incident.

The trial, under Judge Anthony Rafter SC, continues today.


Qld on track for restrictions to ease

Premium Content Qld on track for restrictions to ease

Latest case details a day after national hotspot status revoked

‘Achilles heel’: Unemployment holding back QLD recovery

Premium Content ‘Achilles heel’: Unemployment holding back QLD recovery

QLD’s high unemployment ‘Achilles heel’ to economic recovery

Queensland drought-declared communities secure $5m

Premium Content Queensland drought-declared communities secure $5m

$5 million in funding will be available for community groups, councils...