Meghan, Harry’s ‘new bid for privacy’

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have beefed up security at their $21 million Canadian mansion with new CCTV cameras and a tarpaulin barrier, it has been revealed.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have made the rented mansion their home after announcing they were stepping down as senior royals.

And now TMZ is reporting the couple had gone to extreme measures to improve security at their new North Saanich villa.

According to The Sun, a giant tarp has been hung between the trees to obscure the view of their home, while at least one security camera has been installed along the beach.

The security measures also include a "no trespassing" sign on the fence.

 

The couple moved to Canada with their nine-month-old son Archie in January as they prepare to drop their HRH styles and quit the monarchy for a life of personal and financial freedom.

And the security measures come after lawyers for the couple issued a legal warning after the ex-Suits star was photographed walking her dogs with Archie last month.

Meghan had fled the UK after she and Prince Harry released their bombshell announcement to quit as royals - having spent six weeks over Christmas at the sprawling property.

 

Prince Harry and Meghan have turned their backs on the royal family. Picture: AP
Prince Harry and Meghan have turned their backs on the royal family. Picture: AP

Despite speculation, it is unclear who owns the mansion and if they couple are paying rent.

The Sun previously revealed they asked neighbours on Vancouver Island to sign nondisclosure agreements before moving in for Christmas with baby Archie.

The Mille Fleurs home near Victoria, British Columbia, would have cost more than $A192,000 to rent.

The idyllic mansion has stunning views and boasts eight bedrooms and two private beaches.

 

 

HOME SWEET HOME

One local, who did not wish to be named, told The Sun: "I was very surprised to hear they were staying there because it's always been a mystery about who actually owns it.

"It doesn't seem the sort of place a royal couple would go."

Locals on the island first spotted Prince Harry and Meghan around December 18 enjoying hikes and jogs - with the pair even stopping to take a selfie for another couple on New Year's Day as they enjoyed their Christmas break.

 

 

They missed the traditional royal Christmas with the Queen and family at Sandringham.

The couple then returned to the UK, before Meghan headed back to Canada to be reunited with baby Archie.

Prince Harry then secured the Megxit deal with the Queen in crunch talks before flying back to his new home.

Meanwhile, an ex-Palace protection officer claimed the couple's bodyguards may have lost respect for them for quitting the royal family.

 

The Queen gave the couple her blessing to take a step back from royal life. Picture: AP
The Queen gave the couple her blessing to take a step back from royal life. Picture: AP

British police officers protecting the couple had voiced concerns about being treated like assistants, running errands including picking up groceries and coffees.

A former close protection officer for both Prince Andrew and Princess Anne told The Sun the concerns could show Meghan and Prince Harry's "ring of steel" was "fed up" with the pair.

British taxpayers are still funding the couple's protection while they live in Canada.

 

 

This story was originally published in The Sun and is reprinted with permission.


Rural Aid helping primary producers when ‘chips are down’

Premium Content Rural Aid helping primary producers when ‘chips are down’

During Mental Health Month, Rural Aid asked their counsellors to share what they...

The battle for the diverse seat of Callide is underway

Premium Content The battle for the diverse seat of Callide is underway

IT IS one of Queensland’s most diverse seats, coving the Darling Downs, Central...

Mobile nurses hit the road for women’s clinics

Premium Content Mobile nurses hit the road for women’s clinics

DARLING Downs nurses are hitting the road, travelling throughout the southwest to...