ADJUSTING PLAY: Dalby Bowls Club secretary Brian Nolan with club chairman Darryl Frizzell assess the club’s situation
ADJUSTING PLAY: Dalby Bowls Club secretary Brian Nolan with club chairman Darryl Frizzell assess the club’s situation

Ready to roll: bowls club back in action

DALBY Bowls Club is ready to roll after receiving a mammoth grant to get the club up to scratch as COVID restrictions ease.

Club secretary Brian Nolan and club chairman Darryl Frizzell is seeing the light at the end of tunnel after being shut for over 10 weeks.

“At the end of last year we received a grant from Queensland sport and recreation of $56103 to replace our greens which covered 80 per cent of our project,” Nolan said.

“The grant only covered 80 per cent of what we needed but our members did a fantastic job of raising the other 20 per cent which came to $12817.”

While the project only took five months to complete, the green has enjoyed a few extra weeks of holiday.

“Unfortunately just as we were ready to go we were shut down with COVID and it has only been in recent weeks that we have been able to open again,” he said.

“Our greenskeeper has said to us that it would be much better if people were playing on it more because it is fully grown and it needs that movement on there.”

The club is hoping that the third stage of eased restrictions will help the club get back on track and more people through the door.

“We normally hosts multiple carnivals throughout the year which we obviously haven’t been able to do which has costs us a considerable amount in revenue,” Nolan said.

“We can only play roll up, the competition side of the game is not allowed,” Frizzell said.

“We must have a vacant green between each lot so that means 16 on our green in the front and 16 playing in our back green, that's as many as we are allowed.

“It’s really unfortunate because it’s first in best dressed, if your late you can’t play.”

Currently working in accordance within the Queensland health regulations, the club is still seeking ways to ensure their members can enjoy the facilities.

“At the moment our players come in, go straight to the green and then head home once their game is down,” Frizzell said.

“We can’t have our bar open and serve our members, we normally have tables full of sandwiches, biscuits we don’t know how we will be able to cater that in the future.”

“The club is open to anyone who is up to come out and have a social game and hopefully we can get back on track.


DETAILS: Plan unveiled for ‘second Bruce Hwy’ through Roma

Premium Content DETAILS: Plan unveiled for ‘second Bruce Hwy’ through Roma

A NEW MULTI-BILLION HIGHWAY project has been announced which would run right...

Trucking boss weighs in on ‘2nd Bruce Hwy’ announcement

Premium Content Trucking boss weighs in on ‘2nd Bruce Hwy’ announcement

A PROMINENT figure in the transport industry is proposing an Emerald Bypass to deal...

Premier announces details of ‘2nd Bruce Hwy’

Premium Content Premier announces details of ‘2nd Bruce Hwy’

THE Queensland Government is providing updates for a bold announcement to build a...