Fire fighters say a small fire at Two Mile school this morning could have been a lot worse
Fire fighters say a small fire at Two Mile school this morning could have been a lot worse Bev Lacey

School fire caused after gurney left to run dry

A GYMPIE school fire this morning caused light to medium smoke damage to a classroom, but could have been a lot worse, a Queensland Fire and Emergency Service officer said.

"We received a Triple-O call about 5.30am, telling us of a structural fire at Two Mile school," Acting Station Officer Andrew Goffin said.

"Officer saw light smoke coming from a classroom.

"A pressure cleaner had caught alight and molten plastic had set fire to the floor lining," he said.

Police said they also attended the blaze. It appeared the gurney had run dry and the motor had overheated, causing an electrical fire.

Mr Goffin said there was minor damage to the classroom floor only and light to medium smoke damage to the classroom.

Gympie Times

Truck carrying machinery ablaze on Leichhardt Highway

Premium Content Truck carrying machinery ablaze on Leichhardt Highway

EMERGENCY services rushed to the scene of a vehicle fire on the Leichhardt Hwy...

Out of control blaze tearing through Tara

Premium Content Out of control blaze tearing through Tara

WARNING: Those suffering from respiratory issues in Tara may be affected by...

Communities tackling drought to receive over $1 million

Premium Content Communities tackling drought to receive over $1 million

GRANTS: Chinchilla to share in a $1,454,165 grant, that’s been awarded to regional...