WATCH: Rocky taipan victim tells how he survived
TAKING out the bins isn't normally a life or death situation.
But when Harry Molloy, 20, was struck by a taipan while wheeling the bins out the front of his parent's Frenchville home on Wednesday night, that's exactly what it turned into.
The Frenchville university student thought the bite on his foot was an ant as he walked through the darkness but when he kicked out with his foot and saw a snake flip over, he knew he was in trouble.
Sitting up in his hospital bed, Harry described his response after realising he'd just been bitten by a taipan, one of the world's most deadly snakes.
"I've tossed the bins, ran inside and said to my mum we've got to go to the hospital right now, took my shirt off and tied it around my leg and came right here,” he said.
Harry's mother Julie Molloy said she told her son to keep his leg elevated and to stay as still as possible as she raced him to the emergency room.
"That's all we could think of, we were panicking,” Mrs Molloy said.
She said the ER doctors were unsure what kind of snake had bitten Harry and rather than giving him a broad range multiple antivenene, they swabbed the bite and blood tested him to determine exactly how to treat him.
Harry estimated the pathology testing took 20 minutes before they discovered it was a taipan bite and started administering the appropriate antivenene.
"I was there for about two hours not really feeling anything then I started throwing up, my throat was getting tight, my vision went blurry and I had double vision,” he said.
Harry was "out of it” by the time they moved him into ICU for regular observations until he was out of the woods.
He was pleased not only to be going home but with how well the hospital staff dealt with his emergency.
"They were onto it pretty quickly and were friendly, it was not a bad experience apart from having to be there.”
Mrs Molloy was effusive in her praise and gratitude for the hospital staff who she says often get a bad rap.
"You hear so much bad publicity about staff at the base hospital, they're just so lovely, so pleasant, they've got that nice little sense of wit about them and they are just so calm and keep you assured when you're in there,” she said.
In April last year Rockhampton snake catcher Wayne Cameron, 52, was killed by a Taipan.
Mr Cameron was on a job to catch a Coastal Taipan in a duffle bag at an address near Moores Creek Rd , when he was "grazed” on the hand by the snake.
Mr Cameron took every precaution, his wife bandaging his arm and driving him to Rockhampton Hospital
The bandage was removed after Mr Cameron tested negative for venom but shortly after he began feeling dizzy and had convulsions.
Mr Cameron died about 90 minutes after arriving at hospital.