WINTER WARNING: Stove fault nearly destroyed home
QUICK-THINKING firefighters pulled apart a wood-fired stove and a section of tiles to douse a fire burning in a wall.
Two Queensland Fire and Emergency Services crews were called to the house fire in Nicholson St Dalby, about 7.45pm yesterday.
A spokeswoman said it took about an hour to control the fire.
"The fire was in the chimney board and the crew accessed it from the side to remove the burning timber, to take the heat out of the fire," she said.
One male occupant sustained minor burns.
The spokeswoman said the incident served as a timely reminder for residents to ensure their heating systems were clean and working correctly.
"Keep your fireplace, wood heater and stove clean," she said.
"Place a metal mesh screen around open fireplaces and use only seasoned hardwood.
"Never burn cardboard boxes or rubbish in a fireplace and never leave an open fire unattended
"Dispose of ash correctly and extinguish any fires before going to bed or leaving the house."