Women’s mobile health clinic set to hit regional towns
Darling Downs Health mobile women’s health nurses are set to hit the road, travelling to rural locations across the district to provide free and confidential health clinics.
The women’s health nurses, Barbara Milne, Kathy Anning and Marcia Hunt, offer a range of services include cervical screening tests, breast awareness, sexual health testing and advice for issues such as continence, menopause, family planning, contraception and general wellbeing.
Ms Barbara Milne, who travels west from Dalby, to Taroom in the north, and to Texas in the south, said women are often prioritising the health of others resulting in their own health being sidelined.
“It’s really important for the women in our communities to prioritise their health and wellbeing, and make time for regular check-ups and tests,” Ms Milne said.
Ms Kathy Anning, who covers the southeast region, said the mobile women’s health clinics are an easy, fuss-free way to ensure health tests are up-to-date.
“Our clinics are a great opportunity for women to seek help for anything that is concerning them,” Ms Anning said.
In 2017 changes were made to the cervical screening program, with women now needing a cervical screening test every five years instead of a Pap test every two years.
Ms Marcia Hunt, who covers the north east region, said it’s important to get cervical screenings tests when they are due, as they are the best protection against cervical cancer.
“While the test is every five years, we really encourage women to book into our clinics if they have any concerns, or if something doesn’t feel right,” Ms Hunt said.
Upcoming clinics will be held at the following locations:
- Kilkivan and Goomeri Community Health Building, 11 January. Phone 0408 762 170
- Wondai Hospital, 12 January. Phone 0408 762 170
- Warwick Hospital, 13 January. Phone 4660 3900
- Toowoomba Clinic (661 Ruthven Street), 15 January. Phone 4616 6809
- Esk Hospital, 18 January, 22 January. Phone 5424 4600
- Proston Primary Health Care Centre, 18 January. Phone 0408 762 170
- Clifton Medical Centre, 19 January. Phone 4697 3097
- Kingaroy Hospital, 20 January. Phone 0408 762 170
- Stanthorpe Hospital, 21 January. Phone 4683 3460.